Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Week 1 - IntroGIS - ArcGIS Overview Lab



Map 1. Population of countries across the globe. Colors coordinate to population size, with teal being least populated and white being most populated. Black squares indicate major cities. Data Source: USGS 2008.

This was my first time working with ArcGIS, and I found it fairly user friendly when following the instructions given. The biggest struggle that I had was with learning how to save the file correctly for later use. I learned the hard way that you cannot rearrange your files after saving and expect for your map to come back up, that you must save again in the new file structure. 

At first I was not happy with the size of the legend for this map, I wanted it larger for better reading, but was not sure how to do so. Luckily, someone posted in our discussion forum how to do so (using the Pan Tool). I also do not like that the first value for the lowest populated countries is -99,999 instead of 0. However, for my first map, I am happy with it overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment