Friday, January 30, 2015

Week 3 - IntroGIS - Cartography

Topography map of Mexico. Green depicts lower elevations, whereas brown indicated higher elevations. Data Source: UWF, ESRI (2007)
I really enjoyed working on this lab. We made three separate maps: one for the states of Mexico, with a color ramp depicting population sizes; one for showing the major highways, railroads along with primary and major rivers of Central Mexico; and the above topography map. I liked the fact that although we worked with totally different data sets, we mapped relatively the same area. This shows a small sample of the different kinds of information that can be utilized when using a GIS. We used raster data for the first time in order to make the topography map, which was quite interesting to work with. I did realize that I am slightly OCD in the fact that it bothered me greatly that there was no "texture" to the surrounding countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment